London, England was the destination and Paul Cater (California Native) volunteered to be my host and tour guide (Poor guy, did not know what he was getting himself into). So, I decided to have no regrets and hand over that "PTO" pink slip to my higher successor and skip town for a week.
I did a non-stop British Airways flight out of SFO on Feb 11 at 7:50pm, which was amazing by the way! 9.5 hour flight wasn't bad when you have an endless supply of movies to watch, all the beverages you can drink and your trusty little sleeping mask to help you snooze for a couple hours. Time flys when you're having fun!
I arrived at Heathrow Airport at 14:30 on Feb 12 and came across this sign by my driver welcoming me to a little town called London, England.
Of course my trip consisted of many experiences, but one thing that I've realized by traveling solo to another country is that it can become a very powerful, inspiring and unique way to find your best self and take the best of you out. It’s a rollercoaster of feelings and emotions and for sure, it means experiences you’ll never forget. In the end, I was very grateful to know that I would be in safe haven with Paul and his dear friends that in the end would make me feel very much at home in London.
I would love to share my travels with you, so here are some of my fondest memories of my trip:
Saturday night was my first night out in London. We went to Kensington Roof Gardens for a charity event to help stamp out trafficking in the UK. This place is a top London nightclub and is one of the most glamorous night venues in the area. Set 100 feet above the busy streets and a really cool view from the roof top, we got to see fireworks light up the sky, drink fancy cocktails, eat gourmet hamburgers and dance to Katy Perry all night long!
Kensington Palace. Sunny and gorgeous out, I may have brought the Cali weather for a day to this lil' town. I rented a Barclays cycle hire for a couple hours (Barclays is a huge bank that sponsors the cycle hire) and cycled around Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. This is where Princess Diana used to live. It's on the edge of Hyde Park. The Palace is a royal residence set in Kensington Gardens. Home of Princess Diana (until her death in 1997).
The greatest blessing that we can obtain is the blessing of redemption. I saw Les Miserables for the very first time. This has been on the list for several years now and finally was able to put it to rest. It was such an amazing experience (Thank you Paul for surprising me with tickets-btw). Based off Victor Hugo's novel, it's a story of redemption, love and the fight of freedom. It definitely makes you think about redemption in all of its many forms.
Houses of Parliament- also known as Palace of Westminster. The building is absolutely stunning from Parliament Square, it is well worth walking over Westminster Bridge to enjoy the view from the South Bank. It was soo amazing to see in person.
After a long touristy day, I ended up meeting Paul at a Pub called, The Churchill Arms. Simply put, this place is lively and spirited, not to mention festive and a passion for English sports team. A very traditional pub experience. I enjoyed this place. It's right between Kensington and Notting Hill.
I went to Westminster Abbey, perhaps the most amazing structure I’ve seen…ever. About £16 pounds gets you a tour through the halls of the Abbey and the audio tour guide is a must. The Abbey is a place full of history intricate detail which will inspire you. It's been a coronation church since 1066 – it's where monarchs are crowned, married and buried. Charles Dicken's grave is in the Abbey and William Shakespeare is memorialized there. I felt so honored to see the inside, unfortunately pictures are prohibited, but I had the opportunity to take it in, say a very deep prayer while I was there and had a chance to light a candle before I left. This is where Prince William and Kate Middleton are to be married (I think Americans are more excited about the royal wedding than the Brits are). The build up to the wedding has begun! :)
The Goring Hotel is where we had traditional tea on Wednesday afternoon. Tea is between 3:00-5:00pm (or should I say, 15:00-17:00) a snack between lunch and dinner. This was my "favourite" part of the trip. This was done very elegant at this specific hotel and walking distance to Buckingham Palace. Tea time included an array of finger sandwiches, scones, and other pastries. A great way to spend the afternoon chatting it up!
Buckingham Palace is the official London residence of the British monarch. The palace is huge, the architecture amazing, the magnificient gates, the serious gaurds, what a sight! (The most famous changing of guards is at 11.30AM on specific dates..I didn't see it but will put it on the list next time. A tid bit for the Americans, according to the press-the Obama's have accepted the invitation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for a State Visit to London on Tuesday, May 24 through Thursday. Lucky bums!!!!
I got to meet some of Paul's friends during the traditional Thursday night dinner party at the Flat de Cater compound. To make it fun, dinners are to be themed and this one happened to be a "California" theme...hmm...wonder why?? We partied it up with some killer chicken fajitas, chips, salsa, guac and we couldn't forget the Coronas and some wine of course. With Point Break playing in the background and a little bit of Cali music goin' on, we totally "like" had a blast!!
Borough Market is one of those true London gems that are absolutely not worth a miss. Market is at the south end of Tower Bridge. Local vendors sell their fresh produce, fish, meats, ciders, cheeses, breads and coffees here. Never come hungry to this place, you'll end up indulging in mulled wine, beef pie and an apple strudel with powdered sugar on top...great combo, ehh? Yum!! My mouth is salivating just thinking about our consumption of good eats.
A stroll across the Tower Bridge on Friday...soo cool! It’s beautifully lit up at night and sparkles in the dark London evening. The bridge crosses the River Thames by the Tower of London. Do you remember when Peter Pan and Tinkerbell flew over the bridge??? I do! And do you know who had the opportunity to see the Golden Gate Bridge and the Tower Bridge within the same week? This girls did! Not trying to rub it in...just sayin'! :)
I finally got the chance to see Tower of London! It took me all week, but I finally checked it off the list. The castle was founded at the end of 1066. Castle was used as a prison in 1100, served as royal residence, also home of the Crown Jewels of the UK. The Tower was one of the places that I really wanted to visit in London. It's a true step back in time to an age of bloodshed and brutality. A great impression of what medieval London is all about.
Go London Welsh!!! Rugby: It's the Chuck Norris of sports!! Testostorone MEN brimming with camraderie. An awesome sport to watch teamwork, fitness and the willingness to get beat up by the other team. Rugby is the ultimate test of overall manliness (strength, speed, power, strategy, character, loyalty). The origin of american football but with no pads, no stopping for time outs, limited substitutions and did I mention, no pads?
Paul Cater (Head coach of strength and conditoning for London Welsh Rugby) plays a massive role for getting these London Welsh players in tip top shape for their matches. I got to experience my first rugby match on Saturday. So, what better way to stay warm in the stands than with a steaming cup of coffee and a couple of Shandy's to keep you warm.
| London Welsh Rugby (THE CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFFS BEGIN-TIME TO GET SERIOUS!!) |
Scrum-a rugby formation in which opposing forwards huddle and struggle for possession of the ball.
| Mr. Paul Cater himself tending to players |
It was an amazing week and for being a Cali girl in London for the first time, there were a lot of humbling experiences that took place...we won't get into them, but let's just say, I came back with everything!
All great things must come to an end. I would encourage anyone with the means and time to explore the world. It is not always easy or cheap, but I have memories that will last a life time. I am glad I was able to share some of these memories with you through this blog. Until the next time... more travels to come!!!
Stephanie xo!
Stephanie xo!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.